View Full Version : Flaxseed oil and cottage cheese

Sutch
Wed, February 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I heard that the best way to take flax was to combine it with cottage cheese as it helps with the absorption. The reason being is that the oil combines with the sulfurated proteins in cottage cheese to make it water soluble (Google "Budwig" and "Flax" if you want to learn more).

The problem for me is that I hate the taste of flax. Honestly, it makes me want to gag sometimes. Before I would just take tablespoon of flax and quickly wash it down with a glass of water and chew some gum. But if I mix it with cottage cheese, it'll some time to eat something that isn't a liquid.

My question is if I can use whey powder instead of cottage cheese. It seems that whey is also a sulfurated protein (I think) but I haven't found any articles which claim it helps with flax absorption the way cottage cheese does. I heard yogurt and milk are also options, but I don't prefer them as I am on keto. Does anyone have any info about this? Will whey powder work just as well?

Cziffra
Wed, February 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I heard that the best way to take flax was to combine it with cottage cheese as it helps with the absorption. The reason being is that the oil combines with the sulfurated proteins in cottage cheese to make it water soluble (Google "Budwig" and "Flax" if you want to learn more).

The problem for me is that I hate the taste of flax. Honestly, it makes me want to gag sometimes. Before I would just take tablespoon of flax and quickly wash it down with a glass of water and chew some gum. But if I mix it with cottage cheese, it'll some time to eat something that isn't a liquid.

My question is if I can use whey powder instead of cottage cheese. It seems that whey is also a sulfurated protein (I think) but I haven't found any articles which claim it helps with flax absorption the way cottage cheese does. I heard yogurt and milk are also options, but I don't prefer them as I am on keto. Does anyone have any info about this? Will whey powder work just as well?

I don't know if that would be a better choice or not. If you want to have the flax with the cheese just have the tablespoon of flax, have a glass of water and then attack the cottage cheese. They will mix nicely in your stomach. :tucool:

chang
Wed, February 15th, 2006, 09:21 PM

Is this something you take during the day or before bed?

Cottage cheese is a casein protein. This means that it will be better to use the cottage cheese if this is a nighttime thing you're doing. This is because casein protein is a slow digesting protein so your body will slowly use up the protein from the cottage cheese as you sleep. Whereas whey is a fast absorbing protein. I see no problem taking it with whey if it's during the day, however, for bed time, nothing is really better than cottage cheese.

bradh
Wed, February 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Milled flax seeds are decent but they contain carbs, mostly fiber thou.

Sutch
Wed, February 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
If you want to have the flax with the cheese just have the tablespoon of flax, have a glass of water and then attack the cottage cheese.
I thought about eating the cottage cheese first, then taking the flax. But I read somewhere that it's best to really mix them together first as the fat somehow binds together with the protein. Maybe if I do take them separately, it'll all just mix together in the stomach anyway like you said.

Cottage cheese is a casein protein. This means that it will be better to use the cottage cheese if this is a nighttime thing you're doing. This is because casein protein is a slow digesting protein so your body will slowly use up the protein from the cottage cheese as you sleep. Whereas whey is a fast absorbing protein.
I take two tablesppoons, one in the morning and one at night. But it really isn't about whether I want a slow or fast digesting protein. It has more to do with whether whey will 'activate' the flax the same way cottage cheese does.

Milled flax seeds are decent but they contain carbs, mostly fiber thou.
Oh I do eat ground flax seeds as well, for the omega3's, lignans, and fiber. But since I'm in keto, I need the oil for the fat.

Sutch
Wed, February 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM
BTW here's a link to an article about flax and cottage cheese.

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Nutrition/turner60.htm

I don't know if it's all true, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. We all know the health benefits of omega 3's, but this article mentions that taking flax oil by itself without some kind of binding protein will actually do more harm than good.