Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Acne problems? sugar (dextrose)

Sat, January 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
ok ever since this past summer, towards the end anyway I've started having some acne break outs.. now I had acne before but it became progressively worse since and I really had no idea why since I started eating properly from spring time and then all of a sudden this

anyway I became convinced it was in some way associated to working out, etc etc that was the quick answer I got through research and questions asked (I originally thought it was from starting SGX and increased fats though it didn't really seem to fit and SC explained since most my fats were healthy like flax oil and natty pb that promotes healthier skin and such)....

anyway over time I just accepted it and moved on thinking it would just get better but it hasn't really so I did some research about a month ago and the only thing I found that was diet related aside from bad fats and such is that sugar really increases the chances of acne but at that time I did not believe the amount of sugar I had would ever induce a breakout.. I hardly ate bad, maybe a couple times in a month, if I needed sugar it would be splenda, only sugar I had was from broccolli and trace amounts in low carb condiments (bbq, ketchup etc)

today prepping my PWO it just hit me.. starting this past summer it was the first time I ever used dextrose and had a proper PWO shake and since starting SGX my PWO shake consisted between 77g-55g of dextrose (70-50g carbs), and recently I modified it to have just 33g of dex (30g carb) the rest is filled in with maltodextrin making it a 60%dex/40%malto carb portion of the shake.. anyway point is this is a lot of sugar to have in one serving I imagine and considering I would have this 3-5 times every week I imagine (and hope) it would have something to do with this

my question is, would having a 100% maltodextrin carb portion of a PWO shake eliminate the problem of excessive sugar? I don't believe it is a sugar so I assume it would.. and naturally today I decided to give this a try to see if it does anything to kill the acne problem

anyway I thought I'd make a thread on this in case anyone had any similar experiences..... your thoughts on this?

1FastGTX
Sat, January 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Did the switch from 60/40 dex/malto provide any help? Try switching to 50/50 and see what that does for you (that's what I do anyway actually).

Personally, I'd ask SC if I were you, I think that's going to be your best bet. If indeed it is dex that causes you problems then your trainer is going to be able to help with this. I have been told that he is very flexible and will work with his clients and their needs or issues, and provide alternatives if they are required.

I don't have the best skin in the world either and can pinpoint certain foods or activities (lack of cutting my hair, lol) which make me break out, but dex/malto have never had any effect on my skin that I have noticed. (Of course everyone is different, I'm just telling you how I react.)

doordude42
Sat, January 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM
ok ever since this past summer, towards the end anyway I've started having some acne break outs.. now I had acne before but it became progressively worse since and I really had no idea why since I started eating properly from spring time and then all of a sudden this

anyway I became convinced it was in some way associated to working out, etc etc that was the quick answer I got through research and questions asked (I originally thought it was from starting SGX and increased fats though it didn't really seem to fit and SC explained since most my fats were healthy like flax oil and natty pb that promotes healthier skin and such)....

anyway over time I just accepted it and moved on thinking it would just get better but it hasn't really so I did some research about a month ago and the only thing I found that was diet related aside from bad fats and such is that sugar really increases the chances of acne but at that time I did not believe the amount of sugar I had would ever induce a breakout.. I hardly ate bad, maybe a couple times in a month, if I needed sugar it would be splenda, only sugar I had was from broccolli and trace amounts in low carb condiments (bbq, ketchup etc)

today prepping my PWO it just hit me.. starting this past summer it was the first time I ever used dextrose and had a proper PWO shake and since starting SGX my PWO shake consisted between 77g-55g of dextrose (70-50g carbs), and recently I modified it to have just 33g of dex (30g carb) the rest is filled in with maltodextrin making it a 60%dex/40%malto carb portion of the shake.. anyway point is this is a lot of sugar to have in one serving I imagine and considering I would have this 3-5 times every week I imagine (and hope) it would have something to do with this

my question is, would having a 100% maltodextrin carb portion of a PWO shake eliminate the problem of excessive sugar? I don't believe it is a sugar so I assume it would.. and naturally today I decided to give this a try to see if it does anything to kill the acne problem

anyway I thought I'd make a thread on this in case anyone had any similar experiences..... your thoughts on this?

Bottom line.........you're 21. Hormones are flyin'. That'll cause breakouts.:tucool:

Sat, January 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM
Did the switch from 60/40 dex/malto provide any help? Try switching to 50/50 and see what that does for you (that's what I do anyway actually).

Personally, I'd ask SC if I were you, I think that's going to be your best bet. If indeed it is dex that causes you problems then your trainer is going to be able to help with this. I have been told that he is very flexible and will work with his clients and their needs or issues, and provide alternatives if they are required.

I don't have the best skin in the world either and can pinpoint certain foods or activities (lack of cutting my hair, lol) which make me break out, but dex/malto have never had any effect on my skin that I have noticed. (Of course everyone is different, I'm just telling you how I react.)
Well PWO has been discussed before so switching from dex to malto isn't unacceptable as far as program guidelines go (I believe that's ok to disclose)

I started using the 60/40 malto/dex a couple weeks ago so really I don't know, I think it's something I'll have to wait a bit to see if it truley has any affect.. I figure 100% malto isn't going to be much different then a 60/40 carb split as far as results go but I hope it can help control the breakouts if this in fact is the reason

DD, I hear you - that's what I thought, lifting, etc, but honestly I think that's just the easy thing to say because I started it a good while before my bad breakouts and like I said acne is not new to me it was just never like this

Gordo
Sat, January 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Sugar and acne is a myth.

If anything, increased test levels are probably the cause if you're working out hard.

Dairy can be a contributor.

chicanerous
Sat, January 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I agree with Gordo. Dairy and increased test are probably likely causes.

I had bad facial acne for the past few years, but, in the past six months, my face has almost completely cleared up. However, recently, my upper back has flared up a little bit (which it's never done in the past). The difference between now and before is that I'm consuming a lot more dairy and bulking (I'm also assuming my test may be slightly higher).

Sat, January 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'll look into acutane, don't know if I'll enjoy feeling depressed though heh

As for sugar/acne.. myth probably but I don't know about increased test levels since it never broke out the way it had until recently for months after I began lifting for the first time

I never heard of dairy having an effect on this but I will say my diet DID also consist a massive increase in cheeses during this same time period, although <1 carb cheeses, but every solid meal would have cheese in it, just to illustrate how much I'd have roughly 4-6 <1 carb 2% skim mozzarella sticks and 2 deli american slices 1 carb per day - it made a gave me the necessary protein and fat amounts to hit my macros.. I have since changed my diet entirely and eat only the cleanest foods, no cheese and this is all very recent along with the change in PWO (3 weeks ago roughly for the foods)

I'll also add my face has yet to have any break outs and appears to be clearing up.. usually I would break out every 1-2 weeks

johnyboy
Sat, January 28th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Dunno about the sugar, but would agree with the dairy, at least from my experience.

I've had problems with back acne for quite a while, and recently came across this site (http://www.acne.org)

I've been trying what he suggests for a few weeks and it seems to be working a treat, mostly cleared up which is a relief. I'll report back when I've been doing it for longer and let you know if it works long term.

Andrew
Sat, January 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I agree with Gordo. Dairy and increased test are probably likely causes.

I had bad acne for the past few years, but, in the past six months, my face has almost completely cleared up. However, recently, my upper back has flared up a little bit (which it's never done in the past). The difference between now and before is that I'm consuming a lot more dairy and bulking (I'm also assuming my test may be slightly higher).

I think sweating a lot makes it worse...at least for me.
Why would dairy cause it? I thought different types of foods causing acne is a myth.

chicanerous
Sat, January 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I think sweating a lot makes it worse...at least for me.
Why would dairy cause it? I thought different types of foods causing acne is a myth.
I don't know. I've seen it said that it's a myth too. It definitely could be sweating a lot, but I was sweating a lot before too. The only major change is a cooler gym (it's winter now) and my diet.

guava
Sat, January 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Acutane doesn't cause depression. It may cause depression in some people. I just finished a six-week course with it a couple of days ago, and didn't notice a change in mood. I was more depressed when I was 21 than I was a week ago. My skin hasn't completely cleared up yet, so I got a prescription for another 6 weeks. It's pretty expensive however if you don't have a drug plan.

philph
Sun, January 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I've had problems with acne for many years (I'm 41 now - and had accutaine treatment in my 20's when this drug was still quite new).

Since I started eating healthilly some months ago, my acne has got a lot better, at the possible expense of somewhat dry skin. I would be hard-pushed to identify exactly which factor(s) is/are responsible for the big improvement. But, assuming you already follow most of the obvious dietary guidelines generally discussed here, and assuming you are already being cautious with sugar and saturated fat intake & avoiding alcohol - the following dietary things may be worth considering if you suspect that the acne is an inflammatory response:

Get plenty of oily fish or fish oil (for the long-chain omega 3).
Avoid getting excessive omega-6 (but GLA is probably ok).
Get sufficient vitamin C, B6, niacin, zinc, and magnesium.

lostmind
Mon, January 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM
pro-active really works man. I've never tried it, but my wife's younger sister and brother both use it and it worked great. Actually, the first person I know of that used it is a girl who had a beautiful face but bad acne around her hairline that wouldn't go away - she was 28 at the time. After 3 months of using it, she was completely cleared up. The difference was night and day.

My cousin used the accutane stuff - he had really bad acne at 16 or so. It worked, but put him in a funk pretty badly - bad mood, stopped playing sports, etc. Could just be co-incidence (16 is the age you make changes like that I spose)...

I get acne, but it's sporadic and when it comes, it's mountainous giant zits I just have to pop. luckily, its like one a month or so.

HTH.

Ayanik7
Mon, January 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I used accutane last year. I was on a 4 month cycle. I didnt have the side effects everyone is mentioning. I felt normal. The only drawback was that accutane overworks your liver ALOT! So you gotta get a monthly blood test to check up on your liver.

And accutane make your bones and muscles weak. I was unable to lift heavy for 4 months. Just moderate weright with high reps.

I've been on SGX for about a month now and tak in dextrose after workouts. I dont think it plays in a role in acne. i just consume good fats (almonds, flax) and drinking lots of water. That helps in geting better skin for me now.

Theta
Mon, January 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I had a bad experience with accutane. It caused really bad pigmentation in my face and now on top of acne I have to treat that. I find sugar and coffee has a huge effect on my skin. I have found through research that sugar effects your hormones which causes the acne. I am glad to read about the dairy, will try to cut that out. I eat a lot of cheese.

Mon, January 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I tried proactive briefly, it dried me out I disliked it. It doesn't work for everyone either. My sister it works great, for some of my friends it does not work at all.

I thought I would post an update even though it's only been days but I have had no break outs and have very little red on my face. Whether it was cutting out dairy or sugar, something is doing it.

cam
Wed, February 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
I used roaccutane - similar to accutane and it worked quite well but had really chapped lips, muscle pains dry skin etc. As soon as i came off it the acne came back.........at the mo im trying to limit diary products and am gonna test this sugar theory too :nod:

Thu, February 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
well that was short lived sort of, I cleared up a lot (as clear as I've been in years past though still some blemishes) anyway I broke out pretty bad yesterday

I'll keep doing what I'm doing - no dairy/dextrose and if I still have these break outs I'll go see a dermatologist and talk to the person about Accutane

thanks all for the help

Gordo
Fri, February 3rd, 2006, 06:55 AM
consider giving vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) a try...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=15341
http://www.acne.org/rate_item.php?item_id=52

Theta
Tue, February 14th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Update: Just wondering how is every one doing that said they are giving up sugar/dairy. Did it make a difference? I have done a lot of reading on health sites etc that says that exerise eps weight lifting makes the skin worse. Has any one find this to be true? My skin is looking a lot worse then before I started. :bang:

Tue, February 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Update: Just wondering how is every one doing that said they are giving up sugar/dairy. Did it make a difference? I have done a lot of reading on health sites etc that says that exerise eps weight lifting makes the skin worse. Has any one find this to be true? My skin is looking a lot worse then before I started. :bang:
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned they've done it recently but I cut off dairy (used to get it from cheeses) and changed my PWO from dex to 100% malto and for a few weeks I cleared up very well but I did end up breaking out again, I haven't since and am clearing up again slowly but I decided to just go see a dermitologist anyway which will be next week. I plan to ask about accutane when I go.

johnyboy
Sat, February 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM

When I gave dairy up (or cut it right down anyway) it really helped my skin, that was months ago. Could be a coincidence, but certainly seemed to help me, so I'm not going back.

Incidentally when I did have a couple of weeks where I tried going back to it I started snoring, something I hadn't ever done before. So I cut it straight back out again!

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links