Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Cardio before bed?

badmatt
Thu, October 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

I've been wondering about doing cardio about an hour or so before I go to bed. Is that a good idea? I'd like to do it before bed, but I won't if it keeps me awake or anything else like that.

Thanks

sc7389
Thu, October 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
You can do it and see if it keeps you up. I don't think it will keep you up unless you take a stimulant or something before doing your cardio (such as coffee).

doordude42
Thu, October 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Hey guys,

I've been wondering about doing cardio about an hour or so before I go to bed. Is that a good idea? I'd like to do it before bed, but I won't if it keeps me awake or anything else like that.

Thanks

Speaking for myself, i'd be up half the night.

Chameleon
Thu, October 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I think this is something you're going to have to figure out for yourself badmatt.... personally I can do cardio and go right to sleep after... but like doordude said, he can't... just try it for a few days and see how your body reacts... that's all you can do... there is no right or wrong way/time to do cardio... just do it ;) :tucool:

badmatt
Thu, October 13th, 2005, 02:39 PM
OK, I'll try it out tonight and see how I do. Luckily, I've no class tomorrow so it won't matter if I sleep in (in case I can't fall asleep).

Glaive
Sun, October 16th, 2005, 02:20 PM
When I first started doing cardio I ran at night. Didn't seem to affect my sleep too much, but then again I was always somewhat of a night owl.

I did notice that when I started doing fasted cardio in the morning I seemed to be losing pounds faster, though.

NEdge
Mon, October 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I did notice that when I started doing fasted cardio in the morning I seemed to be losing pounds faster, though.

I've tried fasted/non-fasted am/mid-day/pm etc.. They all work to an extent, and obviously you will burn up extra calories, but...

I definitely notice that doing the cardio in the morning, or even afternoon to be 'better' than just before bed.

Having said that, when the evenings were the only time I had, it was still valuable for fat loss.

D.A.C.
Mon, October 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I usually do a quick run (12 minutes, slightly over 1.5 miles) shortly before bed. Doesn't seem to be me keeping awake.

But that's me. ;)

Frozenorb
Mon, October 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM
When I first started doing cardio I ran at night. Didn't seem to affect my sleep too much, but then again I was always somewhat of a night owl.

How it was for me, exactly.

Savyart
Mon, October 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
There is speculation that even if you are able to sleep after an evening cardio session, that it can still distrub your sleep cycles. So, pay attention to whether or not you feel RESTED over actually being able to fall asleep. (though the latter is important, obviously. :) )

Diablito
Wed, October 19th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I do my cardio late at night and go to bed about an hour later with no problems. I do HIIT. So, I'm exhausted by the time I'm done, but I feel well rested the next day.

Hey guys,

Thanks

4mykids
Wed, October 19th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I'm exhausted by the time I'm done, but I feel well rested the next day.

That's what I have experienced as well. I do my cardio 1.5 hours before bedtime. I'm exhausted and go right to sleep. I'm out like a light. But that's just me.

1esotericguy
Wed, October 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM
When I do cardio at night, I'm always the worst kind of tired: exhausted, BUT CAN'T SLEEP. I still do it though. Eyes on the prize. Luckily I'm bulking with no cardio now, so sleep is good.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links