View Full Version : Cheap Olympic to standard adapter

slush_puppy
Sun, March 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
I just bought a Cap 300 lb. Olympic barbell set a few weeks ago. Right now, I have no use for the barbell itself due to space, but just wanted an adjustable dumbell set. The set was only $129, but the Olympic dumbell bars were extra ($30 apiece) and were ridiculously large. I really wanted to use a standard dumbell set, but the plates weren't compatible. I wound up getting the Olympic weight set anyway because the price was good and I knew that I wanted the Olympic plates and bar for any future, better equipment I would buy. I also got a standard set of dumbell handles thinking I could get some kind of adapter.

Well, the only adapter they seem to make are 8" long ones that are too long for the collars on my dumbell set. So I went to Home Depot and found these gadgets which worked great. They're metal 1" diameter plumbing flanges and they cost $2.50 each. I put one on each side of the Olympic plates and they stay very nicely in place. I took some pictures to show them. The first is the dumbell handle with the flanges in places (please don't make fun of my preferance to put the collar on backwards). The second shows the flange off, and you can see the lip that keeps the plate in place. These wouldn't really keep a middle plate in place if there were more than two on a single side of a bar, but I'll worry about that later.

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to some people here, it's a good, cheap way to use Olympic plates and a standard bar. It's tough to decide which kind to pick, because there's so many pros and cons on both sides of the Olympic vs. standard plate issue.

HobbesAB
Mon, March 8th, 2004, 03:31 AM
very nice. the pics were extremely helpful.

brownguy
Mon, March 8th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks slush puppy. I bought an EZ curl bar not thinking about the bore sizes and was ready to give it away.

Bizzybone
Wed, April 13th, 2005, 12:50 AM
seems great, it would work great on my dumbells!