Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Soreness on the second day..

Maximus
Sat, January 24th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else out there experience their worst soreness exactly 2 days after their workout. The day after I'm usually oblivious to the pain, then that night some soreness starts to set in, and the morning after that I'm pretty much useless. :) Anyone esle?

John Stone
Sat, January 24th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Man, I'm experiencing that right now. My legs are KILLING me from Thursday's workout. Yesterday (Friday) was bad, but today is much worse. I say "bad" and "worse", but everyone knows from reading my news updates that I really love being sore... :D

Maximus
Sat, January 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Same here dude..it feels great. You can actually feel each individual muscle that you worked. Even though I'm not in great shape it makes me feel more athletic when I'm sore. :tucool:

Jim
Sat, January 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM
When I first started working my legs I had trouble walking for about a week after it, I couldn't run or hardly stand up, lol, It's fine now, sometimes my legs feel "wobbly" but thats it.

Jono
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 12:15 AM
take vitamin E.. it reduces soreness greatly

Rockman
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 12:39 AM
I'm with ya! I did squats for the first time Wed. since my college days, years ago. I was expecting to be hobbled Thurs morning but felt nothing but come Friday the soreness started and then today I nearly yelped like kicked dog when trying to sit down. My quads and glutes are killing me. Oddly enough, the soreness didn't hamper my 45 min cardio today. But man, I'm feeling it now! :eek:

ringn3s
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 01:16 AM
I'm currently studying the Max-OT course, and it look like soreness and burning sensations are not good! Is it OK to feel the soreness after a while when your'e training Max-OT? it really attacks all the old myths of the "pain" of muscle building.

I'm a real newbie at bulking, but pretty experienced with cardio excercises. (Skinny ectomorphe type of guy who wants to be more mesomorphic.... :o )
Is Max-OT a good way to start for a non-muscular person? Just want to do a minimum of research before I start to avoid the errors that cost many people their motivation.

SCHTEEVIE
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Just be careful that your "minimal research" doesn't cause you to do something wrong and cause an injury - that can be a real motivation killer too... :confused:

Anyway - soreness does not = gains.
propper training and a good diet = gains.
you can still get soreness when you are training improperly...

...having said that - I always feel good when I can feel the pain in the muscles I worked a few days prior :flex:
(and yes, it tends to hurt more 2-3 days later)

I wouldn't start with Max-OT if you are new
- you need to learn good weight lifting form, and determine what is "heavy" to you.
- go more conservatively for 6-8 months then decide to get advanced and you'll get the most out of Max-OT and avoid a possible injury.

read the "bulking guide" sticky to get a good start. :tu:

Naytch
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 09:39 AM
as long as you are sore and not in pain, you'll be alright. :tucool:

Tiger King
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I know how you feel. The day after, I find my muscles have more of a numbing pain than anything, and around the second day the numb feeling is gone and at that point anything I do will make them feel pain.

Jingo
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM
definatly 2 days after here hehe, which is why i always leave atleast 3 days between muscle group work outs. Day after i'm fine then i'm stiff and sore the next

Jonesy
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I find that I experience more soreness if I haven't taken in enough water. If you're even the slightest bit dehydrated, your muscles will struggle to recover. That's one of the reasons people swear by creatine because it acts as a cell volumizer(sp?). But if you are using creatin, be sure to up you water intake as well. I currently do not use creatine and I drink, on an average of 1.5 gallons/day. That's a little over 5.5 liters for our non-U.S. members.

steviedisco
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Don't forget after your workout to do a cool-down and then stretch again. It's tempting to just pack up and get into the shower, particularly if you're pushed for time, but it's really important.

It's something we used to do at football, and apparently it helps the muscles get back into their proper shape after exercise or something, and helps get rid of the sore/stiffness the next day.

AniMe
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Heh, yeah soreness is worst 2 days after, and I love it =) I feel like I've done something useful...

Oh, steviedisco, I've 'heard' that stretching does not make less soreness but makes you more ... Movable in the long run and not so stiff and 'short'... Sorry for my bad English and knowledge ;)

AniMe
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Hmmm, 5,5 litres water a day?!?

I seldom drink more than 2-3 glasses of water a day... That's not even a litre...

Jonesy
Sun, January 25th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Hmmm, 5,5 litres water a day?!?

I seldom drink more than 2-3 glasses of water a day... That's not even a litre...

Well I should explain that it's very easy for me to do because that's about all I drink. 5.5 is just and average, I usually drink about 2.5-3 just at the gym. And I don't include the protein shakes I drink, juices, and tea. That's just straight water.

AniMe
Mon, January 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM
OUCH! How can you be so thirsty? If I run 5 kilometres I'd be drinking top, half a litre of water... Damn :(

Tiger King
Mon, January 26th, 2004, 10:31 AM
He's probably thirsty from the effort/exertion he puts into his workouts. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong btw) that its a matter so much of him being thirsty as it is his body cells demanding water from the drop of osmotic pressure from his exercise.

I find that I drink most of my daily requirement just from training alone. When weight lifting I go through about 4 glasses worth of water, 5 or so when doing cardio and about 8 when im doing thai boxing..

Hell, if anyone has trouble meeting their daily water intake, just go for a long hard run or some other kind of workout..You won't want anything else after that.

AniMe
Mon, January 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Wow.. Alright... I'll see if my water intake will rise now that I've gotten a great training schedule to follow...

By the way, since I'm not a native speaker of English it's very hard with all these terms I barely know in Swedish to be in English... What's "cardio" and "osmotic pressure"? :D

Tiger King
Mon, January 26th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Cardio is anything that works your cardiovascular system, your lungs and heart and bloodflow, air intake, all that wonderful stuff. It involves exercise mostly like (but not limited to) running, biking, swimming, jump rope (especially jump rope)

Stuff like that.

Osmotic pressure isn't a super common bodybuilding term, but the hypothalamus, a part of your brain, detects whether or not your body cells require water, it tells by "measuring" the osmotic pressure in your cells..Errm..Simply put, the less pressure, the less water, and the more demand for water the cells send out. The hypothalamus picks it up and gives your brain the signal to make you thirsty.

That's what I meant by him working out and getting thirsty, he works out, he uses/sweats water and all that, depletes his own stores, and the pressure in the cells drop somewhat and in turn he gets very thirsty and needs to drink.

So yep..There's your explanations as well as a bit more indepth look at why we get so thirsty when exercising.

AniMe
Mon, January 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks alot :)

d8ed
Wed, March 10th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else out there experience their worst soreness exactly 2 days after their workout. The day after I'm usually oblivious to the pain, then that night some soreness starts to set in, and the morning after that I'm pretty much useless. :) Anyone esle?

it's called D.O.M.S... delayed onset muscle soreness.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa010600.htm

MrBlue
Sun, March 14th, 2004, 03:39 PM
When I first started working out, I was really sore. I could hardly move my limbs. However now no matter how hard I lift or push myself I don't seem to get any soreness. Hopefully it's because I am drinking enough water and getting good nutrition, but it does make me wonder if I'm getting any gains at all, cause now I can't feel it...

Teg4e
Sun, March 14th, 2004, 09:50 PM
When I started doing a pyramid type of workout, I used to be sore the next day. After a few months of that, I would rarely be sore at all. Since starting Max-OT, the worked muscles feel very tired and weak afterward, but not sore. About 24 hours later, they begin to get sore and it fully hits around 48 hours later. It's a much deeper type of soreness too, where (as someone else mentioned) I can feel the soreness on each individual part of the muscle. I love it!

ChrisnAustin
Mon, March 15th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Frank Zane once said (I believe in one of the "Arnold Encylopedia of Bodydbuilding editions) that his soreness was experienced sooner and sooner as he became stronger. In his spot-on condition, we would begin feeling sore immediately got home from the gym.

I have seen something similar with my legs. At first, they were sore 2-3 days after the workout. Now, They are sore on the second day only, and some on the first. I fully expect it to move to the first day after pretty soon.

Soreness has been a great gauge for my workout's effectiveness. Especially when trying to hit certain portions of the muscle. For example, my outer chest is somewhat sore still today from my move to dumbell flys 2 days ago. I think it is pretty easy to tell the difference between good ole sore muscles and other "bad pains".

CaseyLS
Tue, March 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I ran a 10k on the 13th and my legs are still a bit sore from that. It was only my third run of the year, and the other 2 I only ran a mile. I used to run in high school but after track was over my senior year, I stopped. Even though I hadn't trained, I was still able to beat my PR for a 5k, which was 21:19 in highschool and my first 5k of Saturday's race was 21:03 and I beat my 10k time by 7 minutes. I ran a 48:03.

I am more that happy with my result, I am just sore as hell.

Casey

PS: :spaz: :spaz:

metron9
Tue, March 16th, 2004, 05:38 PM
When you first work a muscle that has not been worked in that way before it will be sore especially the second day. I too say lots of water and can relate my first squats last month as I started the BB routine again. Ii simply did 3 sets of 10 squats using 2- 45 lb dumbles, the second and thru the 5th day I had to moan in pain to get out of my chair, It got to the point I felt like my legs were paralized, one night I got quite anxious about it feeling a bit scared even. I had gone thru this before when I first did 300 lb calve raises when 20 years ago. I am happy to say just last Saturday i bought a new Hoist Leg press and hack machine. I loaded it up with 340 lbs and i think the machine has 40 lbs of weight already and procedeed to do 3 sets of 8 leg presses. Then i left 90 lbs on it for another 3 sets of 8 Hacks. I thought I would be really sore but its 3 days now and the most I feel is my knees are a bit tight. This is the third leg workout since i started up again and the last one i was squatting 160lbs using a bar across the shoulders. My last workout on Sunday i did chest bench,flys and pullovers and it is really stiff today. I am just getting ready to try 8x8 sets on a back routine tonight so we shall see in 2 days what happens to my back muscles on that program. I use the AST Creatine grape mix for an insulin spike right after a workout as well as a VP2 protein drink and then eat dinner in another 45 min or so.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links