Sponsored Links

View Full Version : How many almonds?

JK2005
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I just learnt that almonds, despite its high calories, is very good for health and skin (Vit E) and can be a part of a weight loss diet. But how much is good? I am having 5 a day - hope thats not too much!

doordude42
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I just learnt that almonds, despite its high calories, is very good for health and skin (Vit E) and can be a part of a weight loss diet. But how much is good? I am having 5 a day - hope thats not too much!

I'm currently cutting and eat at least 1 oz per day.

1 oz:
6.2g P
5.5g C
15g F
170cal.
GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!

JK2005
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Great, thanks. I will not feel guilt of eating almonds now - I always used to look at almonds as 'fat making machines' :)

I also eat peanuts - about 20 large pieces - as they are good too (I love peanuts :))

Thrillhouse17
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I too eat almonds, some days eating 1/2 cup. My bag says that 1/4 cup = 170 cals, 6 g protein. Apperently 1/4 cup is about 1 oz.

Maya
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'm also still cutting and have almonds fe times a week. 1 oz is about small handfull (about 20 almonds)

Avocado is also a good fat ! yummy.!

sara
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Almonds are great! :tu:
Good source of healthy fats & calcium

on fitday.com 5 almonds = 3 grams of fat

Chris
Tue, July 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Don't forget that they're a good source of fiber as well as protein & fat, and speaking of which, I wouldn't mind having an Almond Joy right about now :tu:

Gordo
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Rule of thumb, 2 small handfuls/day will not get you fat....how many cups is that? No idea....take a handful....drop it in a 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup and see if you fill it. You'll have a general idea what a "handful" works out to. A handful for me works out to <1/4 cup. If you want a real treat....lightly toast them in the microwave for about 5mins at 100% power (stir them up about half way). The flavor really comes out in the nut. They take on a whole new flavour that way. Toasted almonds rule!

JK2005
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Rule of thumb, 2 small handfuls/day will not get you fat....how many cups is that? No idea....take a handful....drop it in a 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup and see if you fill it. You'll have a general idea what a "handful" works out to. A handful for me works out to <1/4 cup. If you want a real treat....lightly toast them in the microwave for about 5mins at 100% power (stir them up about half way). The flavor really comes out in the nut. They take on a whole new flavour that way. Toasted almonds rule!

Yes, I bought some of the roasted & salted (no oil) variety and it tastes yummy :tucool:

Will try your microwave trick on some of the raw ones I have!

williamso
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM
When I buy almonds, I check how many oz. are in the package -- usually 6 or 9. At home I put out 6 cups for 6 oz, 9 cups for 9 oz. Then I split the entire package equally, so I know I have 1 oz. in each cup. Then I eat 1 cup each day. 1 oz each day. Simple.

RTE
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I too eat almonds, some days eating 1/2 cup. My bag says that 1/4 cup = 170 cals, 6 g protein. Apperently 1/4 cup is about 1 oz.

So you eat 340 calories a day of almonds. That is fine. But if you were cutting and were taking in 2200 calories a day, that would be 15.5% of your calories. If you were taking 6 meals a day, that is equal to nearly a full meal which would be 367 calories if you equally divided it. Right now I am at 1800 calories, so that would be about 19% of my daily total!

Now the above math is not to say don't eat almonds. It is a nagging reminder that while cutting, calories are important. Especially if you measure by the handful.

Myself, given the choice of a few almonds for 19% of my daily total, I would choose something more filling, providing bulk. Again with me, I could eat a Healthy Choice Grilled Whiskey Steak frozen dinner For 280 calories, 6 gm fat, 38 gms of carbs, 17 gm of protein. The steak is in a BBQ sauce with roasted potatoes and corn and string beans. All proportioned out for me. And I would add in an apple to get up to the 340 calorie total. I would walk away more satisfied, but that is just me.

doordude42
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
So you eat 340 calories a day of almonds. That is fine. But if you were cutting and were taking in 2200 calories a day, that would be 15.5% of your calories. If you were taking 6 meals a day, that is equal to nearly a full meal which would be 367 calories if you equally divided it. Right now I am at 1800 calories, so that would be about 19% of my daily total!

Now the above math is not to say don't eat almonds. It is a nagging reminder that while cutting, calories are important. Especially if you measure by the handful.

Myself, given the choice of a few almonds for 19% of my daily total, I would choose something more filling, providing bulk. Again with me, I could eat a Healthy Choice Grilled Whiskey Steak frozen dinner For 280 calories, 6 gm fat, 38 gms of carbs, 17 gm of protein. The steak is in a BBQ sauce with roasted potatoes and corn and string beans. All proportioned out for me. And I would add in an apple to get up to the 340 calorie total. I would walk away more satisfied, but that is just me.

I prefer the 2oz of almonds to that processed crap.What the hell, I gotta have 20% fat anyway. That's good, healthy fat.

philph
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I very often use almonds to "make up the numbers" so that a meal reaches the intended number of calories.

The larger part of the calories in almonds is monounsaturated fat, which is a healthy substitute for saturated fats or excessive carbs.

The downside of nuts is, as others have said, they're not very filling for their number of calories. But that's just the way it is with fats.

Thrillhouse17
Wed, July 13th, 2005, 07:48 PM
In honesty I love almonds for more than just their taste. They're quick to make (just grab and eat), good when I need breakfast on the run, and I love adding some into my eggs. Beat a couple of eggs together, add a little skim milk, a couple almonds, some salt, cook, and I've made myself a good meal. I also have strange tastes, and can stomach about anything. It is a large part of my daily intake, but it's a quick fix and I know they're healthy fats.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links