View Full Version : Ephedra

Snowie
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Has anyone taken ephedra?

Just interested, as i was at a party the other weekend and this girl i was speaking to said she had done some ephedra and felt really switched on and energy levels were up.

She said to me that "its an anphetamine (like speed) that bodybuilders use", but i always thought it was a natural thing and not anphetamine?

So is it similar to speed?

Does it lower your immune system as much as anphetamines do?

krosspyder
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 05:17 AM
i think if its cooked its crystal meth... thats what i heard... not sure.

its definitly an upper... like speed. more folks on here can give you a more knowledable response.

im using bronchaid.... it contians 25mg of Ephedrine sulfate.

ive done a few personal tests determing if it really gives you energy.

when jogging with it and caffiene (no doz) combined my quick walking hr is 35.... when jogging... upping my cardio a little... i hit 45 to 50 easy.... sometimes 60. when i sprint i can hit over 90 easy. after 45 minutes of this fasted cardio... im still ready to kick ass.. i usually love hitting my bags... speed bag and cement bag.... and doing some jump ropping. im hitting this shit like i have stores of energy... crazy. ive never had any issue while on the EC stack.... i dont overdose though... i only take it before workouts.

with only no doz.... walking HR 23... upping cardio... jogging.... 30-35.... jogging faster.... i hit 45 -50 ... i have to sprint to get up to 80 or above.

without anything... HR is lower by either 5 or 10.
i find it hard to keep the same pace as with the supplements.... and i dont last as long... i have to push myself harder to achieve medium amounts i get while on the EC stack.

ive done this about 3 times... generally the same thing throughout.

slush_puppy
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Just interested, as i was at a party the other weekend and this girl i was speaking to said she had done some ephedra and felt really switched on and energy levels were up.
Would you please go and smack her a few times for messing a good supplement up for the rest of the responsible world.

Seriously, people like her are the main reason it was banned.

kc135r
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Would you please go and smack her a few times for messing a good supplement up for the rest of the responsible world.

Smack! Hah! Is was thinking the same thing ;)

Mooshie
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I started taking an ECA (Ephedrine, Caffeine, Aspiring) stack about 12 days ago. I read every single review and study I could Google on the subject of fat burners. I'll go into detail about what I learned.

Of all the fat burners on the market the only one that actually gives any results seems to be the ECA Stack. When you combine Ephedrine with Caffeine they seem to effect the beta receptors on your cells to promote the increased metabolism of fat through a process called Thermogenesis.

Is any of this really true? I think it probably does have some positive effect on the metabolism of brown adipose fat tissue based on what I've read. Once I have taken the stuff for a full 30 days I'll give a more thorough report.

As to the negative side effects. The only side effects I've had so far is a slightly increased resting HR from about 58 to 68 and I feel a little jittery.

The positive side effects that I've noticed is a greatly increased energy level, decreased appetite, and I generally feel better and more alert.

I'm taking 25mg Ephedrine (Primatene), 200mg Caffeine, and 300mg Aspirin ever 5-6 hours 3 times a day starting at 7am and ending at 5-6pm.

I can't say that it's burning extra fat until I let a whole month pass and compare my fat loss results this month with previous months. I also can't say if this stuff is safe.

I could be a complete moron for even trying the ECA Stack but who knows. :p

slush_puppy
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I could be a complete moron for even trying the ECA Stack but who knows.
No, you did your research and you're using it the way it was intended to be used. You're taking it responsibly. Nothing wrong with that.

ILoco
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 10:47 AM
For more detailed info on the mechanisms behind how Ephedrine works, check out the fat burner thread... or just research effects of norepinephrine on the body.

Skoorb
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I've used it for weight loss with caffeine and it worked well. I haven't used a weight loss drug in years though, because I think they're inherently unhealthy.

I still remember years ago having a dose of "Ultimate Orange". It was a bodybuilding supplement which I suppose had ephedra in it and I was CRANKED on during that workout. I just went so hard and felt so good, like I could do it again when I was finsihed. it really was awesome.

RamRom
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I started taking an ECA (Ephedrine, Caffeine, Aspiring) stack about 12 days ago. I read every single review and study I could Google on the subject of fat burners. I'll go into detail about what I learned.

Of all the fat burners on the market the only one that actually gives any results seems to be the ECA Stack. When you combine Ephedrine with Caffeine they seem to effect the beta receptors on your cells to promote the increased metabolism of fat through a process called Thermogenesis.

Is any of this really true? I think it probably does have some positive effect on the metabolism of brown adipose fat tissue based on what I've read. Once I have taken the stuff for a full 30 days I'll give a more thorough report.

As to the negative side effects. The only side effects I've had so far is a slightly increased resting HR from about 58 to 68 and I feel a little jittery.

The positive side effects that I've noticed is a greatly increased energy level, decreased appetite, and I generally feel better and more alert.

I'm taking 25mg Ephedrine (Primatene), 200mg Caffeine, and 300mg Aspirin ever 5-6 hours 3 times a day starting at 7am and ending at 5-6pm.

I can't say that it's burning extra fat until I let a whole month pass and compare my fat loss results this month with previous months. I also can't say if this stuff is safe.

I could be a complete moron for even trying the ECA Stack but who knows. :p

amen to that except this part I could be a complete moron for even trying the ECA Stack but who knows. :p

i'm on it right now and it does work, of course with diet and cardio and training :claphigh:

Skoorb
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
i'm on it right now and it does work, of course with diet and cardio and training Yeah I really don't think it's a placebo. Along with creatine it's a real, functional supplement. I have had awesome progress with the ECA stack, though I've not taken it in many years.

I tried, a year ago, a fat burner from somewhere else and I just felt like it was going to make my heart pop, which is why I kind of avoid them now. I can lose weight to the same ultimate point now, it just takes longer.

RamRom
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah I really don't think it's a placebo. Along with creatine it's a real, functional supplement. I have had awesome progress with the ECA stack, though I've not taken it in many years.

I tried, a year ago, a fat burner from somewhere else and I just felt like it was going to make my heart pop, which is why I kind of avoid them now. I can lose weight to the same ultimate point now, it just takes longer.

that's one of the main reason i take it is that i have no patience for it, i need something effective and fast, i know if sound lame, but that's just me :nod:

krosspyder
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
how long before you boddy starts becoming used to the stack? do you get off of it for sometime? whats your pattern like?

jim331656
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I went 6 weeks and layed off it. I think I was adapting a bit. Most people say up to 2 months on and then take 1 off.

RamRom
Wed, June 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
i'm gonna do it for one month, still 2 weeks and 3 days left then i'll decide what to do next :tu: , one step at a time

TheHamburgler
Thu, June 9th, 2005, 05:36 AM
with ephedra being banned..where are you people getting it?? Canada? :confused:

henderjr
Thu, June 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM

It is still sold for Asthma products like primatene tablets and others (Bronchaid).

I've used it as a supplement at times and it does work IMO. It's not the magic pill or anything like that but it does seem to boost metabolism and help get more out of cardio/lifting sessions.

RamRom
Thu, June 9th, 2005, 09:30 AM

the ban is lifted on ephedra in the US

Ephedra is Back (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=46726)

krosspyder
Thu, June 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
so does that mean they are going to start putting that shit back in hydroxycutt and xenedrine etc.?

tensdanny
Fri, June 10th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Interesting..

henderjr
Fri, June 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
so does that mean they are going to start putting that shit back in hydroxycutt and xenedrine etc.?

Quote from article linked above

Saying that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had not met the burden of proof that any specific dosage of the controversial weight-loss drug ephedra was dangerous, a U.S. District Court judge in Salt Lake City has lifted the year-old FDA ban and sent the matter back to the agency for further evaluation.

From what I found the FDA is still "evaluating".

jim331656
Mon, June 13th, 2005, 08:11 PM
bronkaid and bronchaltors like them were never taken off the market cause they are synthetic ephidrine hcl. Ma Hung ephedra was banned.

Mooshie
Mon, June 13th, 2005, 09:08 PM
bronkaid and bronchaltors like them were never taken off the market cause they are synthetic ephidrine hcl. Ma Hung ephedra was banned.

I thought Ephedrine HCL was the real thing made form Ma Huang and Pseudo-Ephedrine Hydrochloride is sometimes used but would be referred to as such in the ingredients.

jim331656
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Ma hung contains 3 alkaloids ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, and phenylpropanolamine. Ma hung, ephedra was banned but you could always get bronkaid,vaspro, and primatene(ephedrine hcl) and sudafed(pseudoephedrine)

jim331656
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 04:04 AM
http://www.body-building-tips.com/ephedra-facts.html

JoeSchmo
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 04:48 AM
She said to me that "its an anphetamine (like speed) that bodybuilders use", but i always thought it was a natural thing and not anphetamine?

Yes, it is amphetamine-like, but it only has about 1/25th the punch of amphetamines...but it does share many properties with amphetamines.

Actually, my impression is that the ban came after professional athletes decided that if one pill is great, 47 must be even better! Then, they go run around in heavy clothing in 100 degree weather and don't drink any water...and suprise! They keel over from a heart attack, dehydration, or heat stroke. And, because these are professional athletes, it then makes the news that ephedrine = bad.

Don't get me wrong, it is certainly dangerous...and despite all the naysayers out there who say "Well aspirin is dangerous too...blah blah"...ephedrine IS one of the more dangerous compounds you can injest -- especially if you've got coronary heart disease (then, even at normal doses, it can be downright deadly). So, just take care when taking it. Follow the directions and make sure you don't have any of the conditions it warns you about.

Also -- I don't really care if ephdra ban is lifted. I'd much rather take the precisely measured doses in Primatene anyway than the widely fluctuating doses found in the herb supplement Ma Huang.

ILoco
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) does NOT have any of the fat burning properties we are looking at. That is only found in Ephedrine HCl.

Don't take Sudafed for fat loss... you'll just be decongested.

Mooshie
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Question: Primatene is Ephedrine HCL and Bronchaid is Ephedrine Sulfate. Any differerence between the 2 types of Ephedrine?

ILoco
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Same thing. I don't like Primatene as well though since it has more guanifenisin. There are 200mg guan. in each tablet and 2 tabs per 25mg dose. Bronchaid would be the choice here.

I've found Vasopro and Broncheze to be much cheaper and just as effective. Primatene seems to be more potent though... you can smell the Ephedrine in Primatene tabs after you open the blister pack, just the problem with the guanifenisin.

dano
Tue, June 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM
A few years ago I was on an ECA stack that consisted of Bronkaid, no doz , and aspirin. This, after trying several of the combined brans out there that contained the ephedra.
The homeade stack was by far more potent than the combined brands. I can only assume it is because the Bronkaid contains actual ephedrine vs. ephedra.
There were a couple of times when shortly after taking a stack I drank a couple of cups of coffee and that extra caffeine put me down. My heart rate went through the roof , I was nausious, and sweating profusely. I was extremely concerned. I forced myself to drink as much water as possible to flush my system and in a few hours I was fine.
Even after that I continued to take the stack. I didn't touch a drop of coffee though. I OD'd for sure.
I don't recall how much but I remember dropping quite a bit of fat.