View Full Version : Sauna After Cardio

Brian Golden
Mon, March 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Before anyone says anything or is lead to believe I'm doing this for the reason of losing weight, allow me to clarify.

Using a sauna makes you dehydrated, before and after I use the sauna I drink close to if not more than a half gallon of water. No one should use a sauna to lose weight for the long-term because it won't work!

Now, I plan on doing cardio at least 5 times a week in the morning. Weights once a week. I eat in the range of 600-800 calories before running/rowing/biking in the morning and try to give myself 30 minutes to an hour before starting.

My breakfast is 2 bananas, cup of oatmeal, and a glass of skim milk. I'm probably going to add more...but anyways

Purpose of my doing cardio is to make my heart/body stronger, I am not doing it to lose fat, although I realize that is going to come with time. (I'd say I'm a few digits away from a six-pack)

I'd like to complete this in the morning and was planning on spending 1.5 hours total M-F from 5:30 am - 7 am.

I was planning on bringing 2 bananas with me and I'd eat them immediately after I'm finished with cardio. Then hit the sauna for 30 minutes; I would drink close to a gallon of water total since waking up.

Am I missing anything?

jsbrook
Mon, March 28th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Are you asking if this is ok? I see no problems. But what is the purpose for you? Just to relax your muscles and enjoy the heat? If you have the time and enjoy it, no reason not to. Just make sure your water and nutrition is up to par, which you seem to be taking care of.

Brian Golden
Mon, March 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I ended up doing it today because the pool was being used; my first time using the pool/sauna at the gym I workout out.

I enjoyed it, so I figured I'd work it in.

I know it's good for me, I just wanted to make sure that doing that right after cardio is not bad for me.

mason
Mon, March 28th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I agree with jsbrook. I might start hitting the sauna after long runs when I renew my gym membership.

jsbrook
Mon, March 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I agree with jsbrook. I might start hitting the sauna after long runs when I renew my gym membership.

That's fine. Just be particularly careful with hydration.

jtchen22
Tue, March 29th, 2005, 01:31 AM
okay. here's my take on it..

don't do it.

while sitting in a sauna or hot tub might feel great after a long run or workout (and you'll probably see tons of people doing it), it's not the best thing to do to aid recovery.

after a hard workout, running or weight lifting, or any sport in general, your muscles, joints, and ligaments are already battling inflammation. they are swelling up. all your capillaries are dilated and the blood is pumping through them at an increased rate.

when you immerse yourself in a hot tub or sauna, the same things happens. your blood vessels dilate, circulation increases, and swelling increases.

have you ever heard of a doctor tell you to use heat pads on swollen joints/muscles? show me that, and i'll show you a quack bigger than the legacy of donald duck.

while it may not seem the best, ice yourself. you see sports athletes doing it all the time. they immerse themselves in a tub of ice. while the shock might be harsh, it'll speed recovery like nothing else.

so you might as well soak your feet in a tub of ice. use the sauna a few hours before, or a few hours later. after a work out, ice the joints. you will see the results the next day.

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=1605
http://www.123-fitness.com/aftertips.htm
http://www.humanperformance.com/fitq7.html
http://www.ifafitness.com/faqs.htm#11

Boxer-in-training
Tue, March 29th, 2005, 02:04 AM
I sit in the sauna when my sinuses are bothering me, but never for more than 8 minutes or so. As for the jacuzzi, last week I got in it after a run and sat in there too long. I got up to walk across the showerroom floor and take a shower. I got a headrush and things went black and a tile wall stopped me... hit my head on that thing which brought me back. I felt kind of stupid. It is relaxing, but don't stay in there too long and take your time getting out. :)

jsbrook
Tue, March 29th, 2005, 08:41 AM
while sitting in a sauna or hot tub might feel great after a long run or workout (and you'll probably see tons of people doing it), it's not the best thing to do to aid recovery.

after a hard workout, running or weight lifting, or any sport in general, your muscles, joints, and ligaments are already battling inflammation. they are swelling up. all your capillaries are dilated and the blood is pumping through them at an increased rate.

when you immerse yourself in a hot tub or sauna, the same things happens. your blood vessels dilate, circulation increases, and swelling increases.

It is true that hot water is not the best thing after a hard run. Our track and cross country coaches always had us use an ice bath (not fun and probably not necessary for most people here) or ice any aching joints before using any heat. I didn't think of it with the sauna or in relation to weight-lifting, but it stands to reason. But it still may not be detrimental, especially if the cardio's not truly intense for you guys. You could try and see.

Brian Golden
Tue, March 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM
That is what I was wondering about jtech, thanks!

So, after some consideration, I'll make it a special treat before bed when I have the time.

If this means anything I just felt like sharing.

Temperature of Sauna: 133
Temperature of Hotttt Tub: 108-110

It actually didn't seem that hot in the sauna; all I noticed was I had to get used to breathing hot air in, but yes, I won't do it after the runs. Thanks again.