View Full Version : Why when I eat pizza do I get tired and feel really out of it?

TotalTan
Wed, February 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Hey guys. Most days my carbs are low to moderate, normally under or around 100 grams. Today I was off my diet and had some pizza. 6 pieces. I also had a footlong sub last week too, and I notice I feel kinda drunk. My reaction times are slowed and my head feels fuzzy. I get REAL sleepy and could sleep for a nickel. Is this normal and why does this happen? It used to never bother me before, but I think it can be attributed to my lifestyle change and my body isn't used to all those carbs....just wanted to know what you guys thought....

StoneGRMI
Wed, February 9th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Your body isn't used to that much food, let alone that much crappy food. So to break the food down is has to use up more energy than it's use to therefore making you tired. As far as feeling lightheaded, that might just be an attribute of you being tired? Low blood sugar, food allergies, and just being a "carb-sensitive" person can also make you drowsy.

Human Clay
Wed, February 9th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with increased seratonin, which is related to sleep. Sugars bring up seratonin.

Jbroad572
Wed, February 9th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with increased seratonin, which is related to sleep. Sugars bring up seratonin.
I'm the opposite, hopefully it will change though. My buddy probably has to change to eating healthy food, more times daily??? I dunno, but I could eat less and junk food and have plenty of energy, than eating more food and healthier.

marcus
Wed, February 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Your body isnt used to such large amounts of food and you become tired because large amounts of energy and blood circulation is diverted to your digestive system in order to digest the food. Its kind of why you dont eat a big meal just before or during a workout, blood is diverted from your muscles to your digestive system, sapping your energy to workout. I'm sure there are others things going on in your body to induce fatique, but what I explained above is a significant contributor.

tdunne
Thu, February 10th, 2005, 04:24 AM
I don't think the volume of food is nearly as big a factor as the type of food. You could eat a couple pounds of lettuce and not feel tired (well, tired of lettuce, perhaps). Pizza dough, however, is one of those generally awful high GI carbs people would do well to avoid, and eating six slices at a go when you've been living at <100g carbs for a while will send your blood sugar through the roof. The back end of that is when your insulin output spikes and that energy isn't going anywhere but to fat - your blood sugar drops back down and suddenly you're ready for a nap.

Feeling faint, dizzy or similar sensations are symptoms of a hypoglycemic condition - low blood sugar - and not simply a full stomach.

Sazuki
Thu, February 10th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Think about moving away from that whole low carb thing. Just eat a lot of oatmeal etc. Skip any kind of simple, refined carb.

I think more people are realising lately that low carb isn't the most effective method of loosing fat. I tried it for months, it was a horrible time for me.

Are you doing some kind of carb loading diet?

krosspyder
Thu, February 10th, 2005, 06:30 AM
i get this way after eating from a chinese buffet... but never with pizza..... wonder why.

i got this way this past week when i had my cheat meal at a chinese buffet.

don_1987
Thu, February 10th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I experienced these things too, but I mostly realize these feelings (tired, so burned out and feels like a could sleep) after eating a lot of breads, which is technically mostly carb. But it makes me curious, isn't carb suppose to give you energy? Then why does it do the opposite? Maybe I have to agree with this one...

Your body isn't used to that much food, let alone that much crappy food. So to break the food down is has to use up more energy than it's use to therefore making you tired. As far as feeling lightheaded, that might just be an attribute of you being tired? Low blood sugar, food allergies, and just being a "carb-sensitive" person can also make you drowsy.

TwinsP0p
Fri, February 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I don't know how big those slices of pizza were that you ate, but it's possible they had upwards of 50g each of refined, "white" carbohydrates in them. That would mean you'd consumed three times your typical daily carb intake all in one sitting! The body, if not used to it, will work noticably hard to process all that sugar. The sudden high sugar levels and corresponding insulin surge must've made for a hell of a ride. :spaz:

Skoorb
Fri, February 11th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Too much food with too many carbs & fat. I actually, for the first time in a while, had a bunch of pizza at lunch yesterday and it totally killed me for the rest of the afternoon. I _felt_ fat, and also I was slow and just useless.

Fudgam
Sat, February 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I think its from having a huge insulin spike in your blood stream, from eating way more carbs than normal, then having it drop back down to normal.