View Full Version : This is why Subway is bad for you...stop eating it!!

TotalTan
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
I see a lot of people on here talk about Subway like it's a 'good' alternative to fast food. Well, in some respects yes, but it's really not a 'clean' meal. Yes it's low in fat, and saturated fat and cholestorel(sp), but it's garbage food. First, most men I know eat a footlong, and even if it's just a 6 inch, that's TONS of refined carbs. Think how big those buns are. Next, it's PACKED with processed meats, high fat cheeses, and high fat dressings, unless you opt for the lite mayo like I used to do before cutting started. Still, your left with processed meats and a ton of unwanted, refined carbohydrates.

Just thought I woud share since a lot of you eat it.....add on with thoughts/comments if you would like..

Klownpoet
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Well I think if you are looking to a cheat meal that isn't high in sugar and what not, a turkey sub on wheat or something would be a good choice. Jared did lose alot of weight, but he doesn't exactly look like a knockout and I dont think he has spent 2 min in the gym lifting weights. (anyone ever notice how Jared always has flannel shirts on at the beach?)

I do enjoy subway though and still eat it from time to time, but I don't think any fitness expert in their right mind would recommend eating a sandwhich from them everyday...

SwoleCat
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
I hate that garbage.

~SC~

williamso
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure who has been advocating Subway for people who are serious about losing weight. I see the commercials and I think -- this is for people who want to dabble in weight loss.

Subway is better than McDonald's for sure. They push the nutrition thing, that's good. For some people, it's probably a good step toward healthy living. But it is a step, not a destination.

TotalTan
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Well I think if you are looking to a cheat meal that isn't high in sugar and what not, a turkey sub on wheat or something would be a good choice. Jared did lose alot of weight, but he doesn't exactly look like a knockout and I dont think he has spent 2 min in the gym lifting weights. (anyone ever notice how Jared always has flannel shirts on at the beach?)

I do enjoy subway though and still eat it from time to time, but I don't think any fitness expert in their right mind would recommend eating a sandwhich from them everyday...

Lol.................

I agree it's a healthy alternative for non fat people who want a healthy lifestyle, but for people seriously trying to lose weight, not good.

minilifter
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
I see a lot of people on here talk about Subway like it's a 'good' alternative to fast food. Well, in some respects yes, but it's really not a 'clean' meal. Yes it's low in fat, and saturated fat and cholestorel(sp), but it's garbage food. First, most men I know eat a footlong, and even if it's just a 6 inch, that's TONS of refined carbs. Think how big those buns are. Next, it's PACKED with processed meats, high fat cheeses, and high fat dressings, unless you opt for the lite mayo like I used to do before cutting started. Still, your left with processed meats and a ton of unwanted, refined carbohydrates.

Just thought I woud share since a lot of you eat it.....add on with thoughts/comments if you would like..

A 6" subway turkey sandwhich with double meat, no cheese, no dressing, all the veggies with salt, pepper, oragano and vinegar has 330 Kcals, 27 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat a 45 grams of "refined carbs" (better known as bread.) It is very filling, very familiar, and is not that bad for you. A fastfood meal with this much protein and a decent amount of vegetables is OK (not everyone is scared to death of 45 grams of white bread every now and then.)

nimloth
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
No mayo, no cheese, some sweet onion sauce

so for me the only really bad part is the bread.

But I usually get a 6" wheat, so how bad can those carbs be?
It's not like I'm on a low-carb diet.

It's like saying "Food is bad for you! It has carbs and fat!!".
You know that you can opt out of cheese/dressings, right?

SwoleCat
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
What they fail to mention about poster boy "Jared" is that he had his stomach stapled.

To me, that's a bigger reason for "weight loss" (note I said weight, not FAT as he is just a skinny-fat person now, who wants that??) not the stupid sandwiches he endorses.

~SC~

Klownpoet
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Did anyone ever see the South Park episode with Jared? Quite Funny.
I am not ripping on Jared, it is better that he is not as obese as he once was, but the fact that he is seen as a model of fitness to some people is somewhat scary. I never knew he had his stomach stapled either. I guess now if he has an extra meatball on one of his delicious subs he runs the risk of puking it up... ughhh

I think subway should have jared post a pic of himself with his shirt off in order to be a bit more truthful to customers about their advertising campaign.

minilifter
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Did anyone ever see the South Park episode with Jared? Quite Funny.
I am not ripping on Jared, it is better that he is not as obese as he once was, but the fact that he is seen as a model of fitness to some people is somewhat scary. I never knew he had his stomach stapled either. I guess now if he has an extra meatball on one of his delicious subs he runs the risk of puking it up... ughhh

I think subway should have jared post a pic of himself with his shirt off in order to be a bit more truthful to customers about their advertising campaign.

What made me even more disheartened is watching "Supersize Me" where Jared comes to the school to lecture the kids on weightloss or whatever, and the little fat girl is heart-broken because she wants to lose weight but Jared told her the only way to do it was eating 2 subs a day and she can't afford that (whether or not he really said that I don't know, but that is the message she walked away with)

LeftNut
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
//begin Subway rant

Yeah, that stuff is crap. Order the "roasted chicken breast" sandwich and you'll see what I mean. Nothing but a supersized McNugget sans the deep fry. And it tastes like doodie. The rest of their meats are even worse.

As for the bread....any bread that you can scrunch up into a ball the size of a walnut (and it stays that way!) is bad news for sure....

No comment about that Jared dude.

//end rant

If there is ever any of that grocery store soft pansy-bread in my house....I take it to the park, scrunch it up into little balls, and toss it in the middle of a big crowd of ducks. Then I watch them play hockey as they fight over it. :spaz:

Bluestreak
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
I agree it's a healthy alternative for non fat people who want a healthy lifestyle, but for people seriously trying to lose weight, not good.

*raises hand*

I've cut while eating a sub or two a week. There's nothing wrong with *ANY* food, so long as you eat it in moderation and do your exercise. It's not the best alternative, but it's not the devil incarnate for people trying to cut fat.

This is the mentality I believe that makes weight loss seem impossibly daunting for people who want to lose weight, but feel hopelessly lost in an overweight body. I used to feel that way. I thought, like almost every other American who's gotten heavy post-college, that it was simply a fact of life. You get older, you get fatter. When you're in that mindset, you believe that you have to give everything up to lose weight.

Stop me if I'm wrong here. Really.

Don't perpetuate the nonsense that people should stop eating Subway. Or anything for that matter. All things in moderation, damnit. I guarantee I can walk into any grocery store and pick apart half the foods that sit on the shelf that many people do consider healthy.

Really, it's panicked notions like this that ingrain the idea that weight loss requires some extraordinary sacrifice. Maybe up front it does. That's quite simply the adjustment period you go through in changing a lifestyle drastically.

Lemme tell you, over the last five months, despite not being able to lift a single weight, I survived Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years, as well as the past month eating pretty much anything I wanted come the weekends, and I'm 1-lb. heavier than I was five months ago. Let's say that again. As of this morning, I am ONE POUND heavier. So long as I get my carcass on a treadmill three times a week and watch what goes down my gullet from Monday through Friday, it's all good.

The moral of the rant? Eat anything you want - in moderation. That's not a license to go out and eat fettucine alfredo every weekend. But do go have a nice meal. Treat yourself for hard work (Subway is hardly a treat). Exercise. Pay attention to your diet. Pay attention to your body. But don't deprive yourself - especially of something that's not all that bad for you. To villify Subway is just silly.

This says nothing of those seeking to look like SC. That's a whole other ballgame. I'm aiming this at the average Joe/Jane that exercises to stay healthy and look good sans textiles. I aim this rant at those coming here who're just starting out. I bet that's the lion's share of the people who cross this site daily.

-R

TotalTan
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Bluestreak I agree with you. I am just starting out, and my trainer while cutting says that food is horrible for me. Im about 20% body fat and I think when I lose some more weight he will be a little more liberal with my eating habits. He wont allow me any cheat meals, and it sucks. His rationale on why Subway was bad for ME made sense and I just wanted to share it.

Human Clay
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
I agree that Subway can be a sort of "gateway" to healthy eating for people who originally eat things that are much, much crappier, and in that sense it's a good... but it's true that it isn't a destination.

When I have to find food on the go or before I can go grocery shopping for my staples, or desperate for something more satisfying, Subway is still an option. I'll pickup a 6" oven-roasted chicken breast on whole wheat (I know, their whole wheat bread isn't much better than white, but it's something), and I get lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, cucumber and green peppers. Nothing else. I then bring it home, melt a slice of fat free "cheese" on the chicken and put a tablespoon of fat free miracle whip in there for flavour and moisture. Eat it, and then I'm off running again.

Not perfect, but it's better to eat something than go starving until you can get ahold of one of your other staples. I don't have it very often, maybe once a month.

Bluestreak
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Bluestreak I agree with you. I am just starting out, and my trainer while cutting says that food is horrible for me. Im about 20% body fat and I think when I lose some more weight he will be a little more liberal with my eating habits. He wont allow me any cheat meals, and it sucks. His rationale on why Subway was bad for ME made sense and I just wanted to share it.

My friend, we just went through this with a similar post last week.

Here's my take on trainers.

If you go in and meet with a trainer and tell this person that you're raring to go, ready to lose a million pounds, they'll put you on a very aggressive program. That means no cheating.

Alternatively, if you go into changing your body with the mindset that "I didn't get heavy overnight, so I'm not going to get thin overnight either", I believe you'll benefit so much more. Why? You'll feel less deprived. You'll likely stick to your plans more efficiently. In time, as I did, completely on your own, you'll become more aggressive with your weight loss plans as you see gains and start to visualize changes.

I simply am not the type of personality who believes in the "all or nothing" drastic lifestyle changes that many who transform themselves embrace.

That's all I'm saying. We can villify any fast food establishment. Hell, we can probably villify any food for some good reason if we try hard enough. Just keep in mind that transformation requires personal thought and evaluation; not blind faith in a trainer. Think for yourself and evaluate. I can't stress that enough. Why? Because we're not all independently wealthy. What will happen down the road when you no longer have that trainer lording over you, pushing you in the necessary direction? You will have lost weight, yes. But will you have the tools to continue to improve, hell, will you have the wherewithall to maintain?

Trainers are a great tool up front, but please... learn from them, don't just follow them as so many do. Question them. Learn how they manipulate your diet so you can do the same for yourself. It's not hard. I watched my wife go through this; from the most incredible fitness transformation to gaining back what she lost. Why? Blind faith in a trainer, rather than learning why she did what she did.

Again, this is all to say... all things in moderation, and use your brain, not just your body. :tu:

-R

GKHammond
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
I feel that it's much better than most other alternatives out there. Most of us are seeking a lifestyle change to lose weight. Unfortunately part of that lifestyle change does not coincide with the realities of daily life, so compromises must be made. If I were able to plan, prepare, pack and carry my own food every day, I would have a much cleaner diet and would be at a more appropriate BF% than I am now. However, my lifestyle does not permit this luxury and I am forced to make daily choices about where and what to eat. Until someone opens a grilled chicken and cottage cheese stand with a drivethrough or a Whey Bar with 100's of whey proteins on tap, I will choose Subway as a better (not best, we're talking compromise here) choice than I could make. Mustard only, no cheese, lots of veggies (including spinach, which you can't get on a sandwich most places) and 6"whole wheat bread makes a filling meal with few calories and very little fat.

BTW, I hope Jared's not a member of JSF forums or some of the preceding posts could be considered flaming which I understand is forbidden here.

Also Snopes talks about the rumors about Jared including the supposed gastric bypass here Jared Rumors (http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/subway.htm)

Speed Trials
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
*raises hand*

There's nothing wrong with *ANY* food, so long as you eat it in moderation and do your exercise. It's not the best alternative, but it's not the devil incarnate for people trying to cut fat.

-R

Wow, this post is like an island of sanity on these forums. Great post, Bluestreak.

I really don't get it, it's like someone works a granola bar into their diet and suddenly they're an outcast.

SwoleCat
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
BTW, I hope Jared's not a member of JSF forums or some of the preceding posts could be considered flaming which I understand is forbidden here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

~SC~

vatechguy
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Two points:

1. Jared didn't get any stapling done. Dude - he lost like 250 pounds - give the kid a break. Is the "subway diet" overhyped? Sure - but for someone in the 400s - its a start.

2. Everyone always overlooks the Subway Salads - they also offer Spinach now, get your self some double meat roasted chicken - some veggies and walk away satisfied. :tu:

wh0rume
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
its ironic that this thread poped up. today i had subway for the first time in ages! 6in chicken terriaki, no cheeze.

its just sooooo much bread - but good thing i had done my lifting 1 hr beforehand.

yirmeyah
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Subway isn't bad. It wouldn't be good to have every meal of every day. Jared is an inspiration in that he got off of his butt and lost a ton of weight that was holding him back, even if he doesn't have a six-pack and still isn't the ideal of healthiness. Subs, just like chicken, sweet potatoes, or any other food can be bad if you cover it with unhealthy stuff. A 6 inch sub on wheat bread with no mayo and lots of veggies, if it fits into your diet plan, would not be bad from time to time. People were fit long before there were aluminum cans, skinless chicken breasts, whey protein, ways to count calories, the idea of splitting fat/carbs, etc...Just my two cents. :D

PeteBDawg
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
It's always a tricky, narrow little pathway a person treads between getting psyched and motivated ahead of the curve and getting a little too harsh.

Still, I stay away from Subway. The sandwiches might be better than McDonalds burgers for you, but the soda and cookies I always end up with when I go there are just as bad as the ones I could get anywhere else.

At any of these fast food joints, the worst stuff isn't the main course. A McDonald's cheeseburger is kind of disgusting and pretty bad for you, but the oversized sodas and french fries are much, much worse, especially together and added to the meal.

I think if you have a history of overeating, it's useful to cultivate a psychological division between food that is healthy for you and you don't really have to think about too much (and keep only that stuff in your home), and the food that you need to be careful around.

Subway might be some of the healthier stuff in the second category, but it doesn't really come close to the first category. I know how I work - I can't eat like everybody else in the Subway does and still be healthy and feel good, so I try not to go there too much. It's really pretty simple.

In general, I don't think one or two "healthy" menu choices should be a good reason for somebody trying to break an obesity cycle to set foot in any fast food restaurant.

PeteBDawg
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Also, for the sake of thoroughness, I'll lay you eight to five that Subway "wheat bread" is no better for you than Subway's white bread.

Lucky13MN
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
its ironic that this thread poped up. today i had subway for the first time in ages! 6in chicken terriaki, no cheeze.

Haha, me too! Only I had the 6" chicken breast with just onion and green pepper, no cheese or anything else.

As far as the subway commercials go...

You ever notice they compare a plain, no cheese, no mayo, sub to a loaded Big Mac? Yeah, that's fair... how about compare your sub with mayo and cheese on it, I'll bet the numbers are a lot closer!

GKHammond
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
In general, I don't think one or two "healthy" menu choices should be a good reason for somebody trying to break an obesity cycle to set foot in any fast food restaurant.

I couldn't let this one go, I tried but couldn't. So here goes, why isn't it a good reason? I'm only going to eat the healthy choice. I'm not going to absorb fat through the air in the evil fast food place. Face it, the healthier choices are a lot more plentiful than they were just a few years ago. If people stop going and stop buying them, the fast food places will stop offering them. I give credit to McDonalds and Wendy's for offering fruit as an option to fries now. My kids pick the fruit 9 times out of 10. Ideal meal? No, but it is better than the alternative.

If someone has trouble making the right choice in a restaurant, how can they ever go to a grocery store and make the right choice. Temptation will always be there unless you completely isolate yourself from the world. Success will only come when you learn to resist the temptation and make better choices in all situations.

Sorry to rant on this but as one who eats out at least 10 times a week (many of those fast food places) I have to disagree that you can't make it work.

PeteBDawg
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 04:45 PM
why isn't it a good reason? I'm only going to eat the healthy choice.

Then it is a good reason for you. But it might not be a good reason for somebody else, who isn't "only going to eat the healthy choice."

Like a guy who maybe has different problems with food, sees a big extra value meal promo, gets it automatically because he feels bad about something, scarfs it down, feels terrible, kicks himself afterwards, and eats a bunch of cookies to compensate. I'm not making this up - I used to be this person.

As Fat Bastard from Austin Powers says, "I eat because I'm depressed, and I'm depressed because I eat. It's a vicious cycle." I maintain that, if this is you, if you're caught in a cycle, you probably shouldn't go to fast food restaurants, because you say you're only going to get the fruit or the salad, but end up getting the fries, the cookies, and the Coke.

I admire your discipline and willpower, and you're 100% right about people like yourself, but I stand by what I said about people like myself.

I just assumed, I think, that I was talking to only people like me, which is never a smart thing to do. Sorry about that.

Face it, the healthier choices are a lot more plentiful than they were just a few years ago. If people stop going and stop buying them, the fast food places will stop offering them.

Fast food restaurants aren't dependent on the business of people who make strong decisions to lose weight and stick to them in order to stay in business. The group of people that actually eats healthily is small enough that their marcoeconomic effects are minimal.

If anything, people on the hard line, who are committed to living healthily, should be more stringent about what they eat and eat fast food less, because that will influence the people in the middle a little bit, and maybe pull them away from fast food a little bit, which will cause fast food to have to shift its priorities even more toward the healthy end of things to get those people back.

McDonalds didn't make these changes when business was booming. McDonalds hasn't been doing well lately. It made the menu changes to compensate.

But all this is immaterial. We don't owe fast food anything, and, in my opinion, it would be no terrible loss if there were less of it in the world. It's just another business.

If someone has trouble making the right choice in a restaurant, how can they ever go to a grocery store and make the right choice. Temptation will always be there unless you completely isolate yourself from the world. Success will only come when you learn to resist the temptation and make better choices in all situations.

This is true, to an extent. But it is a lot harder to make smart choices, especially those involving self-restraint, in the heat of the moment, when the temptation is upon you. You can't eliminate temptation, but you can calm it down a bit.

If I might be a little risque for a bit, it's easier to make a smart choice about whether or not to have unprotected sex before you get in bed, not after. Make that choice when you're not under as much pressure - when there's less immediate gratification at stake, and you'll take into account the long term consequences more easily.

Similarly, it's easier to buy healthy food from a grocery store than from a restaurant, because you're (ideally) not hungry when you're in the grocery store, and you're (certainly) not going to sit down in the aisle and immediately consume everything you pick out.

Sorry to rant on this but as one who eats out at least 10 times a week (many of those fast food places) I have to disagree that you can't make it work.

You're 100% right there. You can make it work. I spoke too strictly. It's still not for everybody, though.

slush_puppy
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
It's funny, Bowflex has an ad campaign now where they have their own "Jared" and his slogan is "Let's see that sandwich guy take his shirt off!". Apparently, Klownpoet, there's a job waiting for you in the marketing department at Bowflex.

btimby
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
What about wraps at subway? My g/f likes me to take her to lunch sometimes during the work week, I usually take her to subway (or somewhere else where I eat my packed lunch). Wraps are what I get, and they have way less bread...

SwoleCat
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM

However others may desire a higher level of fitness than you do.

Eating out won't help them accomplish this.

I can't really tell by your avatar how lean you are and if you sport a ripped mid-section or not, but it doesn't appear that you do.

Not a flame, but you have to realize that others may have goals set MUCH higher than your's.

~SC~

kdhwtbtwbd
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Are there any good combinations at Subway?

For instance, choosing the wrap instead of the bread (I know it's still a refined carb, but a hell of a lot less)

Having one of the 6 under 7 options - turkey breast, turkey breast and ham, vegie delite.

Plently of good salads, ask for more cucumbers, lettuce etc to make it a bigger meal.

NO condiments, dammit.

EDIT: Just realised, I can make that exact meal - except quite a lot healthier and satisfying - for about a 1/5 of the price, at home, in 5 minutes.

wh0rume
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
yea, but its so much better when its made by a professional "subway sandwhich artist"

LarryNC
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
3 bucks for a 6 inch right?

How hard is it to buy deli meat at the store and a load of WW bread? Healthier and cheaper. But I would still stay away from both. Lots of sodium.

soltrain
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
nm

guava
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
I can't really tell by your avatar how lean you are and if you sport a ripped mid-section or not, but it doesn't appear that you do.

Not a flame, but you have to realize that others may have goals set MUCH higher than your's.

~SC~

Sounds like a flame to me.

I assumed that this was meant to be a discussion about whether the "average joe" could fit Subway meals into his eating plan.

The answer is yes.

Should a bodybuilder eat at Subway? Probably not. But just because a person eats at Subway once in a while doesn't mean he/she can't get a ripped mid-section.

supaspic
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
I personally dont think subway is bad, as long as you dont add all the crap that they have. Since i go to college sometimes i can't make something on schedule, or i'm just behind on a meal, so i'll get a 6' turkey, on wheat with veggies and mustard...thats it yeah theres a lot of bread but if its in your top 3 meals (for me its 8:30-2:30) i think its ok. but thats just me :D

Strapped
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Two points:

1. Jared didn't get any stapling done. Dude - he lost like 250 pounds - give the kid a break. Is the "subway diet" overhyped? Sure - but for someone in the 400s - its a start.

He most certainly did????????? LOL

If I'm gonna eat a sub, I'm gonna eat Togo's or Jason's Deli!

GKHammond
Thu, February 3rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
I thought long and hard about responding because I didn't want to come off as rude or condescending to anyone here because we all basically have the same goal albeit with different interpretations of what constitutes success...to look better than we do now. Feeling better and being healthier is a by product of striving toward the same common goal, looking better. With that in mind, I responded to the original post because I thought it was irresponsible (especially in one of the public forums) to make such a sweeping condemnation of what many of us here (as evidenced by a few subsequent posts) perceive as a healthier alternative to what we formerly ate before we decided to finally do something about the sad state of our bodies. The title of the thread alone was probably enough to thoroughly frustrate many of us who are trying to make simple lifestyle changes. Is Subway an ideal choice? No. Is it a reasonable choice for many of us with busy lifestyles who can't center our entire life around our fitness goals? Sure.

Pete you made some great points. I have had my problems in the past with binging on a lot of crap when I was having personal difficulties. There is definitely a comforting element to food. So I understand that one could be tempted to choose poorly at a place like Subway, but I just wanted to make the point that at least there is a choice. Many restaurants do not even offer a chance to make that choice and I do avoid those like the plague. Unfortunately, with my schedule, fast food is a necessity in my life.

Swole, yes you are impressive. You sport a ripped mid-section as I hope to someday. Your goals are obviously MUCH higher than mine (your emphasis not mine). And obviously others here do desire a much higher level of fitness than I do. I would never question your advice on diet or exercise for those who are seeking the highest level of fitness. You are an expert on these matters. I'm not. However, I don't ever want to compete in a bodybuilding contest. I don't want out bench or out squat everyone else in the gym. I do want to keep up with my seven year old when we're practicing soccer together. I do want my kids to keep telling me I'm looking better than most of their classmate's dads. I do want to continue to be able to lift a sleeping child out of the backseat of the SUV and carry her upstairs to her bed without waking her. I may be totally off base but the sense I get from a lot of the people on John's forums is that they are seeking similar goals. What drew a lot of us here initially was the compelling story of a normal guy who lost a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time without any miracle pills or surgery or even unrealistic workout schedules. There are a lot of touching stories here about why people are making the choice to improve themselves. I simply didn't feel it was responsible to make such sweeping statements about a choice, that for many people is so much better than their former choices, that would serve to only completely discourage those who are still struggling daily with what to put in their body. There's one sweet young lady here who is trying to lose weight so she can go on a roller coaster with her daughter. I don't know if she ever eats fast food or not but if she did and chose a healthier alternative to the typical burger and fries, would you tell her that she's eating "garbage" and to never eat at a fast food place ever again? Maybe you would, I hope not.

I respect what you've done and you do look incredible. I just got a little torqued by the condescending tone of your post.

I can't believe I've spent all of this time defending a freakin sandwich when I could have been hitting the bike tonight!!! :eek: And no, I do not work for Subway nor own stock in the company.

livedog
Fri, February 4th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Maybe I am misreading your statement, Swole, but are you saying that because some of us strive to have healthy lives, to be able to play with children as opposed to competing in competitions, our goals are of lesser importance?

I am not trying to start or contribute to a flamewar, just looking for a little clarification.

wh0rume
Fri, February 4th, 2005, 09:19 AM
BUHAHAHAHA! read swole's post to me and tell me where he said that. are you kidding me? the only thing offending me right now is how easily some people are offended by things that shouldnt offend you.

All he's saying is some people have higher goals than others. OUCH! :rolleyes:

sure, GKH had a right to reply, but thats it. so its done.
anyway, subway causes cancer.. and aids too.

Maybe I am misreading your statement, Swole, but are you saying that because some of us strive to have healthy lives, to be able to play with children as opposed to competing in competitions, our goals are of lesser importance?

I am not trying to start or contribute to a flamewar, just looking for a little clarification.

livedog
Fri, February 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Thank you for your knee-jerk reply. I didn't accuse him of anything, I asked for clarification. I am wondering what consitutes a "higher" goal?

BUHAHAHAHA! read swole's post to me and tell me where he said that. are you kidding me? the only thing affending me right now is how easily some people are affended by things that shouldnt affend you.

All he's saying is some people have higher goals than others. OUCH! :rolleyes:

sure, GKH had a right to reply, but thats it. so its done.
anyway, subway causes cancer.. and aids too.

badgolfer
Fri, February 4th, 2005, 09:41 AM
i have to disagree that eating out wont help people achieve a higher level of fitness. subway does not only sell sandwiches and mcdonalds does not only sell burgers. fast food restaurants have come a long way recently in offering healthy alternatives that fit into most diet plans.

John Stone
Fri, February 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM
A discussion about a sandwich turns into this? Only on the Internet... :)

I think this thread has run its course.