Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Stomach pain from oatmeal?

PetriJR
Thu, November 25th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Strange thing happened to me: For the past few days I have been getting my stomach sick in the morning, possibly from oetmeal.

Let me explain: When I wake up, there is nothing wrong with the stomach. I nuke a good bowl of oatmeal and add rye brans, wheat brans, oat brans, barley brans and ground flax seeds (10g each) into it, so it becomes quite "heavy" on texture (that's 90g total of dry stuff + about 300ml of water. perhaps about 30g or so is pure fibers). After nuking it I add one table spoon of flax oil + one tablespoon of canola oil, some wheat germs and on top of it all 10 g of milk protein.

I have been eating this exact same oeatmeal for a couple of months without any problems. The stomach pain started occurring only in the past 4-5 days.

My stomach is sick only in the mornings, at about 11am or so it starts to feel better and at noon it's completely normal, like nothing had ever happened. There are no pulsating pains or easily locatable pains in the stomach, just an overall "heavy / pressuring" feeling that also makes me feel a little bit like vomiting.

Any guesses as what might be the cause??? I mean, my oatmeal mix is a mouthful put I did eat it for a long time without problems... Why would it become a problem now...?!?!?

I think that I will change my breakfast into yoghurt for a while...

brezman
Thu, November 25th, 2004, 11:05 AM
I get the same thing sometimes with just oats and water. It only lasts like a minute though and then I finish off the bowl and I'm good to go. I don't worry about it. Try having something else for breakfast.

Hort
Thu, November 25th, 2004, 11:23 AM
That's a lot of fiber- maybe back off for a bit? Variety is a good thing; could be your body just wants a change. Keep up on the liquids too. One other thought... just grasping at straws- maybe one of your ingredients is rancid? Flax seed can go bad, etc. Just a thought.

Wilderbeast
Thu, November 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I have that problem if i dont add enough fluid to the mix. It stays with me till i down a substantial amount of fluid.
Widers

Noahf
Thu, November 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I'd try a day with just oatmeal and the water(maybe some sugar/splenda for taste) and see what hapens to narrow down the problem.

Daniella83
Thu, November 25th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Strange thing happened to me: For the past few days I have been getting my stomach sick in the morning, possibly from oetmeal.

I have been eating this exact same oeatmeal for a couple of months without any problems. The stomach pain started occurring only in the past 4-5 days.

Since you have been eating oatmeal everyday for breakfast for a few months now, it is possible that your body has developed an intollerance to it. One way to check is to have an allergy prick test. But you could probably just stay away from oatmeal for a few months and then be able to eat it again as normal. I recently had the prick test done in which i resulted allergic to oats. But since the allergy is not extreme, by not eating it for a few months I will probably be able to eat it again after that. I speak from experiance: In June I tested to be allergic to tuna, corn and onion (things i used to eat all the time so at the time it seemed strange until the doctor explained the whole intollerance story). The doctor suggested to not eat those things for a few months. I followed the instructions and when i went back to take the test in October I was no longer intollerant/allergic! So i suggest to just avoid eating oats for a while, that is what im doing. It sucks because I really like oatmeal and it is so healthy :(

Oh I forgot to mention, the reason I started to take all these allergy tests is because I had similar symtoms to yours (stomach pains etc.) after eating certain foods.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links